Sunday, October 12

Washington DC

I have a lot to tell in this post. I'll try to make it short and sweet.
Vivian, our repulsive friend from the porch has a cousin in our garage.

This is a picture of a centipede. In Pittsburgh, if there is anything hideous, embarrassing or hilarious they add "Pittsburgh" on the end of it and you are suppose to just laugh. For example...the Pittsburgh basements, Pittsburgh left hand turns, etc. Ya, everyone calls this the Pittsburgh kitchen bug!! That name does not make it OK! This was in my garage!!! It runs faster than me. I'm serious.
After I sprayed about 2 gallons of bug spray all over our house, dead spiders and bugs are practically falling from our ceiling. I highly recommend Ortho!!

This was a sign at Five Guys (a famous restaurant in the east).

This weekend our stake had a temple trip. Our closest temple is in DC. So we went and stayed with Devin's sister, Ani. She is the best! She took us around to all of the cool sites, even parking for us so we could get as much in as possible! We ate breakfast at DC's famous Eastern Market. It is a farmer's market that has everything from handmade Persian rugs to wooden and turquoise jewelry to 3 feet tall giraffe figurines made out of shredded pop cans.

After breakfast and shopping we went to the temple!! It was gorgeous and very big inside. It was fun to see members from the branch there. You really appreciate the temple and learn about its important when it is so far away. I enjoyed the whole experience so much more. I really tried to get ready and look my best. I also listened more intently in the endowment session. Dev and I could really feel Satan working HARD on us this last week. I'm sure it had something to do with our planned temple outing.

After the temple we went to the Holocaust Museum. It was so depressing. FYI to anyone that goes to DC. Go to the Holocaust Museum AND THEN the temple. But it was amazing....well....touching. Then we walked around the Washington monument. We saw people taking awkward pictures and then we figured out they were taking a picture to make it appear like they are leaning on the monument. Of course, we joined in!! Then we walked to the White house. Then we ate dinner at a really cool Tai restaurant. And then....we were freakin exhausted!! Dev has had midterms and has been studying non-stop. He is doing great. I am waiting for my boss to like me. I got the first compliment from her in three weeks on Friday. I think she is warming up to me, very....very...very slowly! I'm dying for some benefits. I had a dream the other night that my teeth all fell out one by one into my hands. Then I woke up and counted how long it has been sinse I have been to the dentist. It was scary...talk about a nightmare!
Okay, now for my very anticipated top 5 list. I have decided to post
The top 5 transportation signs in Pittsburgh.
Dev and I have laughed so hard at some of the signs. Here we go:

Number 1
The intersections here are amazing. There are more 5 way intersections than four. It looks like a stick figure. They tie a string across the intersection and angle traffic lights to point at all 5 directions. In reality you see 3 red lights and 1 green light. Process of elimination and the loud honking tells you....it is your turn to go! I can't get a good picture of it but this is basically what you are looking at.


Number 2
Here is the sign you have to decipher while you are waiting for your three red lights to turn green.

It seriously says-

at the top:
Ok
3-7 PM
and

at the bottom:
6-10:15 AM
Mon-Fri
Except Holidays

Number 3
To add onto that Dev and I passed this sign on our way home.

Now they have two times you can turn left. They also threw in Sundays (that was very Christ-like) and holidays! It was a family community so they had to exempt buses. And I would place money on the fact that residents of Oldgate road nailed this sign up!

Number 4
Moving on.

I learned here that the diamond shapes in a lane do not mean "carpool" lanes like Salt Lake City. It means that the lane is designated for buses only and they drive really fast going the opposite direction.

Number 5
And finally,
A handicap parking sign in front of a residential house with times and days on it that are honestly in size 4 font!!

No comments: