Friday, October 17

Differences

I want to blog about my trip to the grocery store and the following aspects of Pittsburgh that just blow me away before they become normal to me!

So I was trying to make this grocery trip as fast and inexpensive as possible. I was driving just a little too fast...Okay I was at least 15 over. A....it was a really scary part of town....B.....no street should have a speed limit of 15....C.....there aren't any white or yellow lines on the road. So, I was kind of the wrong side of the road. I look over and there is a police car parked with his lights off. You know when you can see the cop's head turn with your passing car? Yeah, I was bracing myself for a $100+ ticket. He never pulled me over!!! Dev and I have noticed that cops just don't pull you over for speeding or bad driving here! It is awesome! But kind of sad because they are probably worried about more dangerous things!

So then I have recovered and I'm still heading to the store. I pull up to the last stop light and I look over and another police man is smoking......maybe this is a normal habit for cops. But the funny part was that it was in his government issued police car. The window was rolled down a crack so he would suffocate while on duty. Nice!

Then I get to the grocery store. I had a long list and my mind was preoccupied. I turned around to get some meat and a sweet old grandma started chastising me about leaving my purse unattended. Even though I was 6 inches from the purse, she was probably right. So then I'm paranoid and kept my hand on it CONSTANTLY (which was very inconvenient but necessary). Then this other sweet old women comes up to me and starts chansting me for having my purse in my cart and not on my arm! Are you kidding me? I must be from Idaho or something. This blew me away. So the rest of my shopping trip almost gave me freaking cold sore because I thought the next person I see was going to rip my purse off my shoulder...or even better another old grandma would chastise me again for even bringing a purse to the grocery store!!

Finally, I had to fill my car up with gas. I put the hose in the gas tank and pull the handle up to start the gas flowing. Then I look for the very convenient gas click under the handle that fills your gas up on cruise control. You know the thing that lets you let go of the gas handle and leave it. It then clicks off when it is done. They didn't have one! I was shocked. Then I looked around and everyone at the gas station was holding on to the handle while it was filling up. Is it just me or is that different? I swear it should be a mandatory rule that every gas pump have a cruise control button under the handle! I have noticed now that I have not found one single gas station with that cruise control button under the handle.

Anyway I just have to write down in my diary of a blog a few some more weird differences that I have discovered about Pittsburgh!

No comments: