Sunday, October 19

Our first anniversary wasn't so good. Dev had to go to NYC for an interview, so I was home by myself and I ended up getting really really sick all day. Bad memory, but we had a really good 2 year anniversary! On Tuesday we went to PF Chang and then shopping at the waterfront. It was gorgeous and really fun. I'm starting to understand what people were saying when they told us we would really rely on each other and grow closer once you move away from family and friends.
I think we have had a lot of changes in the last year and it has been physically and mentally hard and rewarding. But if I look back on this last year I think moving to Pittsburgh is one of the greatest blessings hands down. We have discovered how to invent fun, pick your fights, step up when the other is struggling, budget with no income, agree to respectfully disagree, and finally when and how to compromise. I think it has been a very successful year!

Saturday was exciting too. First we took some pictures at a beautiful park called Schenely Park. I'm so excited to see how they turned out. Why is family pictures so hard? I'll be honest....the only reason I like taking them is for the new outfit .... so I guess I can understand why men hate them. You wife dresses you, you have to do awkward poses for hours...smiling; just so you can spend money to print out the pictures. I love you sweety!
After pictures we took the Duquene Tram by the point.
It is that cute little train you see that rides up the mountain and has a really good view.

Here are some pictures we took in the tram and outside on the deck.

Then we went to a really cook farmers' market called the strip. We had to test every thing and ate SO MUCH! Our actual lunch was at a really neat ma and pa Chinese place. Dev called it the rice wagon. This was the only picture we got but it went on for about 7 or 8 blocks with tons of little shops full of fresh flowers, fruit, fudge, jewelry, purses...... everything!

Finally, one of my favorite apostles, Elder Bednar came for our stake conference this weekend. It was amazing. There was one point that I really loved.
First (in reference to a stray child) he really chastised the parents with the attitude:
"There is nothing that I can do for my teenager now, he has to choose for himself."
He told the congregation that if that is what they are thinking, then they will lose their teenagers to the temptations of the devil. We had better be pitching and swinging just as hard and harder as Satan.....so ....multiple times daily. It is our responsibility as parents to present the covenants and consequences. Then we have to back it up with knowledge of the gospel. Finally we have to give them our example and testimonies.
He said that there are no rewards and punishments in this life, just consequences. When we can help our youth to understand this principle, then they will start to understand the direction each choice will bring them. If they don't know the basic knowledge of the gospel and obtain a relationship with their Father in Heaven, then why would they want to choose the hard and right.
One step further is helping them share the gospel. Sharing the gospel is one of the fastest ways to gain a testimony and appreciate the gospel.

No comments: