
You start off on your way to college (or marriage) not having a clue. Just giving the thumbs up (like these random, clueless tourists) to parents and friends......thinking about how fun the ride will be:

Next, you find yourself at the bottom making Mac & Cheese, PB&J, and Raman and looking up. There has got to be more to life then what you are cooking. So you make the goal to be the best chef ever. Of course, not just a good meal here or there but the BEST CHEF EVER......trying to tackle the impossible mountains ahead...... but still excited for the thrill. And the pressure your friends/husband gives you might have helped you buckle the seat belt but this is your ride:

And the screaming starts! Burnt meal, after crunchy noodles, after ruined pan and you realize how long the ride is!

Eventually your husband/friends start "sincerely" complimenting you and you enjoy the ride a little bit. But, now you can't keep the food in your fridge from molding to save your life. You can make a good meal if the recipe is in front of you, but "just wingin' it" is out of the question when guests come over. You are thrown up-side-down a few times but it's so rare it has become funny and not personal when the meal goes sour (no pun intended)!

Next, you find yourself never following recipes because you KNOW this other ingredient you have will be so much tastier! Usually, isn't. You finally get several genuine compliments from your husband/friends on food or lack of screaming! And you can never quite get every ingredient home from the grocery store. And I would like to stop my comparison here because I feel like this picture:

At the top of a big hill right now. I am still starting off on the ride and it has been such a good ride SO FAR. I don't want to stop (the embarrassing meals and laughs) and can't imagine me ever getting through the ruined pan phase (stupid boiled eggs) but I'm excited to someday, hopefully hear my husband say.....I am married to the best chef I have ever met and know that he really, truly means it!
------------Comparison TO BE CONTINUED---------------
And here are the recipes that I actually followed and came out on top this week as some of the best!
Raspberry Chicken
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup raspberry preserves
1/2 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup fresh raspberries, mashed
1/4 cup fresh raspberries for garnish
Place chicken in large baking pan. In small bowl, combine preserves, juice concentrate, soy sauce, vinegar, chili powder, curry powder, garlic powder and 1/4 cup mashed raspberries. Pour over chicken and cover tightly with foil. Marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight. Bake, covered 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Transfer chicken to serving platter and top with pan juices. Garnish with fresh raspberries. Can serve over white or wild rice.
Peanut chicken Kabobs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Marinade:
1 cup cream of coconut
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
In bowl, combine marinade ingredients until well blended. Slice chicken into 3/4 inch strips. Place in marinade and stir until well coated. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or up to 24 hours. Skewer chicken on thin wooden skewers. Broil or grill chicken over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Serve over rice with peanut sauce.
This week Dev made my dreams come true. I'm a nerd but I seriously got excited about this. I actually had nightmares all night last night about these shelves breaking and ruining all the food the day before the second coming, burning, molding, having a dead cat behind them....you name it, I dreamed it!!! Funny huh!
Guys and girls, the cans roll down! This section is one of three! There is nothing holding me back from my food storage now.....except mastering "couponing!"
And here is sweet Brynlee.
I am trying to be diligent on tummy time and no matter what I do (please notice all the toys even a pirates bobble head) on the side her head should be turned. She turns the wrong way, finds her thumb and falls asleep. No muscles worked at all! We have a problem!
No comments:
Post a Comment