Thursday, January 1

Grocery Saving

Well I have learned some cool things this week about cleaning and grocery preserving. I was a maid for 3 summers in high school for one of my dad's businesses and thought I knew all the little tricks but every time I deep clean my house I learn something new. This week was no exception. I wanted to share what one of the dental wives out here taught me. Her name is Rachael Grant and she deserves all the credit on this one. She said that putting your groceries away should take just as much time and making your shopping list or going shopping. If you prepare the food before they go in the fridge they will last 2 times longer. Fruits rot from seed or stems and meat gets freezer burn from exposure. So here are some examples of things she does to preserve (that I have tried and they work!):
-cut off core and wash leaves of lettuce, then them dry and then put in zip lock bag
(this is the best one I can get my lettuce to last twice as long now)
-stem and wash strawberries and put them in a zip lock bag
(if my strawberries go bad it is because it diced them and just put them in a bowl or I didn't stem them after the store)
-wash and pick all grapes from vines freezing any you don't think you can eat in time.
(Frozen grapes are the best)
-wash and divide up meat in bags marked with the date - really good with ground beef and saves a lot of space
(this helped me know when it was bought and the zip lock bags prevented freezer burn for weeks longer than normal)
-there are definately some things that should just be left along like onions and potatoes and tomatoes etc.

This really cool website that has a great list of grocery storing ideas.

Anyways I know it takes a lot of zip lock bags but it really does make your groceries last about 2 week longer. Thanks Rachael!

post signature

No comments: